Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dear Church,

Greetings in the blessed name of Jesus!

Another week has come and gone. I trust that you have had a fruitful one. A lot of people told me that they learned a lot from last week’s sermon. I was so happy when I heard that because it is always my desire to teach all of us to be practical yet God-fearing at the same time. Perhaps one of the greatest dangers of a modern church is being out of touch with reality. We cannot lead what we fear, neither can we change what we are not familiar with. This year, I really want to encourage all of us to be relevantly engaging. But in order to do that, we need to first know the needs and the conditions of our present society. A doctor will not know what kind of treatment to use if he does not know what is wrong with the patient. If all we have is a hammer, then all the problems are nails. So, may I encourage all of us to be a creative problem-solver, a genuine relationship-builder and a fervent disciple-maker of Jesus Christ!

On another note, I want to talk about Haiti. As we all have known, Haiti was struck by an earthquake measuring 7.0 on the Ritcher scale on Jan 12, 2010. The earthquake destroyed scores of houses, shops, lives and families. On Jan 20, 2010 another strong aftershock measuring 6.1 hit the tiny nation once again. This has hampered the rescue work and medical relief currently being carried out. As believers, we cannot lie idle. We need to do something about it. We need to pray for them and do whatever we can to help them during this dark moment of their lives. At this point of time, I am trying to assemble a team to go to Haiti. This weekend, we are going to collect a special offering to help the Haitians. As your pastor, I want to ask you to give generously to this cause. I know each one of us have our own needs, but can we set that aside for the time being and do this to help alleviate their pain and sorrow?
Church, let us arise for such a time!


Believing with you for a better future,

KEV

No comments: